This training is a powerful combination of theoretical and practical ways to work with story in coaching. It contains a blend of personal sessions with our course leaders, online learning modules and individual supervision. The set of modules offer full flexibility and comes with an online interactive portal.
This course is for experienced coaches who run their own practices or internal coaches or L&OD specialists. It gives you more flexibly to structure your training to fit with your schedule. If you simply prefer working one-on-one with us, it provides an alternative means of personal coaching training that focuses directly on you and your practice.
We have selected a spread of fascinating ideas from the narrative world and synthesised them together in a highly accessible manner. They are explained and explored in a way they can be easily applied to coaching.
The course focuses on advanced coaching skills in three crucial areas:
- Narrative literacy, sense making and purpose
- Decision making, change and follow through
- Addressing your client’s most pressing personal and business needs
This training pulls it all together and is designed to deepen and strengthen your ability to:
- Explore and make better sense of your clients’ personal and organisational narratives
- Implement new ways of catalysing transformational change in your clients’ lives
- Ask thought-provoking questions that identify and open up hidden assumptions that your clients might be making
- Gain a deeper understanding of your client’s inner landscape through stories both big and small, and achieve it faster than you would via general coaching
- Envision different models and ways of working with clients’ metaphors and values, internal and external stories
- Find effective ways, via a narrative approach, to move your clients forward – shifting negative patterns of thinking and behaving while replacing them with ways to develop different, more positive habits
- Challenge and support clients to gain greater agency, resourcefulness, and a fresh sense of purpose
- Work with your clients to re-story their lives rather than simply move to a default future
Transformational Narrative Coaching is a powerful approach. When you work with your clients in this way, they will gain more clarity of purpose and a greater sense of self-authorship.
These explore the most important current theories around narrative and stories, and will introduce you to the key thought leaders in the field. These include the ideas of Dan McAdams, Paul Ricoeur, Pierre Bourdieu, Erving Goffman, Susan Greenfield, Ruthellen Josselson, Michael Bamberg and several others. We will be integrating Martin Buber’s concept of I-Thou dialogue and incorporating insights from Gestalt Psychology.
THE STORY SO FAR…
As part of the course you will be given the book ‘The Story So Far’ – An Introduction to Transformational Narrative Coaching by Nick Isbister and Jude Elliman.Nick and Jude are the Flying Solo Course creators, as well as the online module designers and presenters. They each have over 25 years of executive coaching experience and of using a narrative coaching approach in their business.
Their book covers the content of the training. It is a valuable resource to back-up the course, and the on-line training modules will extend your understanding and explore the ideas in greater depth.